So Jed came to me last night a little sad and asked me what I thought his talents were. I told him I thought he was a GREAT artist (have you seen this kid freehand something?) & he's very funny & can make people laugh. He's very witty! I *think* those are two awesome talents to have! I know he gets discouraged because Heather does cheerleading & everyone is always making over how good she is~and she is good! (I think she's gonna be doing her no handed back in competition this year! WOOHOO!!)
ok so back to the talents, so this is what I told him...Not all people have atlethic talents, but if you want your talent to be a sport you have to put in lots & lots of practice. But it's ok to have other things as talents..So as we went to bed last I continued...Heavenly Father has given us all talents, but it's our job to develop them & use them for good. I told him I didn't really feel like I had any talents either, so at that moment Heather pipes up "Yes you do momma, you have a talent for making cute things!" I don't know if that's really a talent, but I enjoy doing it!
SO do you think you have talents? Are your talents something that's not so obvious (like playing the piano is obvious)? Any thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I believe that most people don't feel they have any talents. It's hard to see some of our talents, and we usually don't see how they would effect others. However, we are all filled with talents on many different levels. Some are spiritual talents, and others are physical. The ability to listen to others or to speak are great talents. Maybe you could share with him in the scriptures where they talk about the different gifts which to me are talents.
I am told I have many talents; however, I, too, have an extremely hard time seeing them. When I am told that I have a certain talent, I often do see it that way or find someone who is much better than I.
This story needs to be prefaced by the fact that I am in a single's branch (meaning immaturity pretty much runs rampant). So, I was in Relief Society one day and the branch was still pretty new and we were going around the room introducing ourselves. Well, some of the sisters decided to introduce theirselves by comparing themselves to their own flesh and blood siblings. They said things like, "I'm the pretty one" or "I'm the smart one" (in their family). I could not help myself and when it was my turn I gave my name and said "and I have two amazingly talented sisters." And it's true. Maybe Heather said it best when she said that Autumn "has a talent for making cute things". And Alison has a talent for freehanding and other handicrafts as well (i.e. wood works). Well, I know that I am incapable making cute things or wood working and my free hand leaves something to be desired, so Autumn's and Alison's talents really are amazing to me.
As far as talents that are not so obvious, I think the least celebrated but the most precious talents are when they are used to bless the lives of others.
P.S. I think the part about practice being necessary to developing a talent is exactly right. No one ever learned to ride a bike (or make crafts or get a back tuck or whatever) simply by watching someone else do it. A person learns to ride a bike by getting on and falling a few times and the ones that get back up and try again, even after falling, are the ones that learn how to ride. It's easy to give up when we fail but some of the most precious things in this life (including talents) are refined and made precious by endurance and persistence.
Post a Comment