A new family has moved into our ward~and like most families in our ward~it's just them, no family around to help. The wife just had a baby on Thanksgiving day. We took them a pot of taco soup on Friday evening & the husband mentioned that he would be working on his wife's car on Saturday. Tyson offered to help, but we never heard from them so we didn't think anything about it.
So on to my lesson.
This morning as I was laying in bed trying to muster up the energy to start the day, the phone rings~it's the husband from the new family. He asked for Tyson b/c he was needing to get the car fixed so they could go to church. Tyson was at work~he said "well, I'm going to need some help getting my family to church" He told me he could fit everyone but the new baby. (He has an s-10 truck with a camper on the back~he was going to put the 2 big kids in the back of the truck, then his wife & mil in the front, but there was no room for the baby)
So I tell him I had 3 extra seats in my car. He sounded so grateful. They live just around the corner from us, so it wasn't out of the way and I could tell they were all really appreciative for the ride.
I was so humbled by this experience~b/c most Sunday's I begrudgingly go to church, thinking of how much easier it would be to stay home & this brother is so dedicated he was trying to fix the car at 7:30 this morning so he could get his family to church.
After I hung up with him, I got in the shower & I thought about this experience~I guess I truly needed to be humbled b/c I have thought about this all day.
Tyson is over right now helping fix their car. I am also grateful for a husband who is handy, even if it's my stuff that usually goes unfixed! :)
I know Tyson is exhausted from getting up at 3:00 this morning to go to work, but when I called him on his way home from work to tell him they needed help, he said ok.
Anyways, another neat thing I learned at church today. A lady shared that her daughter had a book called the 24 days of christmas that she shares with her family each year. I need to call her and found out more about it.
There was a quote in the bulletin that I wanted to share from the prophet of our church~
Now, the next thing of which I am certain, and of which I bear witness, is the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ. Without it life is meaningless. It is the keystone in the arch of our existence. It affirms that we lived before we were born in mortality. Mortality is but a stepping-stone to a more glorious existence in the future. The sorrow of death is softened with the promise of the Resurrection. There would be no Christmas if there were no Easter. ~President Gordon B. Hinckley
Sunday, December 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Love that quote too! I put it in there:) Makes you think a little huh?
Wow! What a lucky gal you are to have someone so hard working, so handy and is willing to be touched by the experiences of others and do as the Savior would have us do.
One line from one of our hymns is:
"How can I see another's lack and I not share?"
...keep posting, you inspire me.
Don't you just love when those kind of lessons come out of no where?! Helping others is something that I need to do more often. I often have good intentions, but I don't always follow through and then I feel guilty. Glad that you and Tyson could help that family.
Very nice quote, I wish I was there on Sunday. I still haven't seen the new baby:)
I love that Tyson is so willing to help out. What a guy!
Post a Comment