Saturday, May 05, 2007

~The Reason I Relay~

My grandma passed away in December after suffering from cancer for years. I decided a month or so before she passed away that I wanted to participate in Relay for Life. I really didn't know anything about it. I had a friend that participated in it, but other than that~I had no clue. I asked around school if anyone did a team & of course you know how this story ends up~they told me I could get one together. So I did~

We had our kids at school bring "Coins for Cancer" and we raised about $1200 for our teams~We thought that was AWESOME!!!

Our theme was S.W.A.T. out Cancer! So we were the Trout SWAT team. HAHA Here's what our tent looked like



Heather stayed with me last night & we ended up staying until 1am. Heather walked several laps & she had a lot of fun going to the different tents.

We bought luminaria for my grandma, but on the way home I remembered 2 other people in my live suffered from cancer. I could have probably spent $50 in luminarias. ACS & Relay for Life are a great cause & I encourage you to get involved in your community.

3 comments:

LaNan said...

Wow! That is so neat Autie!

Francie said...

That is pretty cool. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about mom and all that she did for everyone. Even now, Rascal goes to her bedroom and curls up on her bed. When Ron and I were in Utah we were lost and I told Ron that my mom used to say, "Let's throw a rock and see where it lands." Would you believe that as soon as I said rock a rock hit our windshield....coincidence? I absolutely don't think so. She's still looking over her family and I hope that she's smiling with pride that all of us are trying to do our very best. Good job Autie!!

Faith said...

AWESOME!!! I've had several people in my family die from cancer as well. I'd love to participate in something like this. If you do it again next year, let me know!